Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Entrepreneurial Mindset

So, after taking a week off from the blog to focus on job hunting, I have an interesting story to tell.

Well, it's an interesting story to me at least.

If newsies know one thing, it's what is important stories everyone must know. (Google Image)

Last week, I went to Fred Meyers to feed my crippling Diet Coke addiction when I met a gentleman in the entryway, selling subscriptions to the Seattle Times and giving away entries for a $250 promotional shopping spree.




Who am I to turn down free money for Fred Meyers?

As I was filling out my entry and lying through my teeth about my parents having a subscription to the Times, because sales situations make me uncomfortable, we got to talking. When I mentioned I was a newspaper editor before leaving Oklahoma, he suddenly got very interested, saying that sometime in the next week he wanted to sit down with me over coffee and get to know me.

He may or may not have had a sweet deal for me. (Google Image)


When I asked him what he wanted to discuss, he said he was working on an "asset development," and wouldn't say more until he got to know me better.

That's not an alarm going off in my head, I told myself.

I admit, part of me got curious as to what this guy wanted to discuss, although a good part of me suggested it was something else entirely.

I think they have a word for that. (Google Image)

So, when I got the call yesterday that he wanted to meet at the coffee shop in the Fred Meyers where I met him, I decided that the potential price of a coffee - a drink I am on record as hating - was a fair price to sate my curiosity and see what this potential shyster was on about.

It's a really good deal, you'd be INSANE to refuse it!
So, about an hour before I wrote this post, I sat down with the guy, choked down my coffee, and we talked. He primarily wanted to get to know me, and he was looking for someone who he can work with in "asset development."

First, I still have no idea what he was on about.

Second, we came to an agreement that I was not the kind of partner he was looking for. 

To the guy's credit, he was very upfront about why he wanted to talk to me, however after speaking for the better part of an hour, he said that I lacked the "entrepreneurial mindset" he was looking for in a partner.

Well screw you too buddy. 

Apparently, he figured out I wasn't the kind of guy he was looking for because I was willing to do something I loved for free, and was not willing to give up something I loved doing for great monetary gain. 

In my instance, it's play-by-play hockey commentary - I am making arrangements to call games for the University of Washington's men's club hockey team, much like I did at UCO.

If you ask me, that's a load of bullshit. 

I have worked jobs in the past just to make money, and ultimately I may have met a necessity - paying my bills - I always found such work to be empty and depressing. I can't imagine doing such a thing again, so if it's something I love enough, I'm willing to do something for free if I benefit in other, non-monetary ways. 

Happiness is true freedom, or something corny like that. (Google Image)

If that makes me not of an entrepreneurial mindset, well... that's alright with me. I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment